You are going to have to say a bit more about the setup to get good help. For now ...

1. Your routing table is hard to read (due to the "ppp" entry on the first line). But your ifconfig output says that both ends of the ppp link are in netwotk 192.168.0.0/16, which the routing talbe says is in eth0, not ppp0. Usually host routes supersede network routes, but the use of "ppp" conceals the actual address set. When reporting routing tables, ALWAYS use a flag to force reporting by address (e.g., "netstat -nr" or "route -n").

2. Since you are familiar with tcpdump ... are the ping packets going out ANY interface? (Answer with respect both to the host you are ping'ing from AND the "ppp server", if they are different hosts.)

3. here are you ping'ing FROM? The server itself? Some other host on 192.168.0.0/16? Since you talk about proxyarp, I'd guess the second. If so, after you try and fail to ping, does this third host's arp table have an entry for the "ppp server "host? Does the ping fail silently, or is there some error message?

4. Can you ping the "ppp server" from the "ppp client"? If not, how does that ping fail (silently, or is there an error message)?

5. Next time please be very exact about which machine is which.

You say you put "a small PPP server on my home machine".

Later, you talk about "local" and "remote" machines, but I am unclear as to which of these is the ppp "server" (since you said it was your "home" machine, does that mean it is "local"?).

Then you tell us which IP address is "vhcastle", which "ppp", without explaining what the hostnames refer to.

Similarly, later switching to referring to the "server" and the "other end" leaves me confused ... pick one way to refer to each host and stick with it, please.

In addition to clarifying the above items, next time please provide for BOTH hosts (or all 3, if you are ping'ing from yet a different host), the unedited output of

        ifconfig -a
        netstat -nr
        cat /proc/net/arp [this AFTER an unsuccessful ping]

labeling them very clearly as to which is which.