On Sunday 28 March 2004 03:26, Peter H. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In slackware 9.1 where I had to change from alsa to OSS sound system due to
> distorted sounds with alsa I still can not open kde desktop.

Having one of these chipsets i sympathise with you, however i dont have your
problem.

> Trying to do so I get a continuous, annoying buzz, necessitating a quick
> ctrl-alt-backspace retreat.

So it seems the problem arises when kde is starting, this would point to the
file (default sound file) KDE_Startup.wav found in /opt/kde/share/sounds/

The funtion audio_fd is another word for /dev/dsp (at least it is normally),
I would simply move or rename KDE_Startup.wav and see what happens.

The buzzing sound would possably interpret a missed interrupt or some
interrupt sharing problem, if you use google.com/linux you may well see that
others have reported simalar problems at some time or other.

Of course it could well be that the .wav may be corrupted in some way and
kicks the problem off.

You could once again use strace to catch the problem, however be prepared if
you do for one hell of a big strace file.

--
If the Linux community is a bunch of theives because they
try to imitate windows programs, then the Windows community

Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/