Philippe De Neve wrote:

>Hi,
>

>I'm trying to install the XFree86 system but it fails to start up. I've
>installed it by installing the packages:
>xfree86-common
>xserver-common
>xserver-xfree86
>
>My PC has an AMD Athlon 1500 processor with 256 MB RAM and a graphical card:
>ATI Radeon 7500.
>
>Now when I run X I get the output shown below
>The first error occurs at :
>"
>(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIScreenInit failed because of a version
>mismatch.
>
>[dri] radeon.o kernel module version is 1.0.0 but version 1.1.x is needed.

Maybe cause your system has an old version of X(4.1.01 does not support
many of the newer cards- which I think your card to be)

>[dri] Disabling DRI.
>
>(EE) RADEON(0): [drm] failed to remove DRM signal handler
>
>"
>I know what this means but I don't know what to do about it.
>

>The second and probably fatal error is:
>"
>(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
>
>      No such device.
>
>(EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device

This is not a problem. according to your log you mouse has been detected
and this is just the other port which is being tried.....

>(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
>
>(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
>
>(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
>
>Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!
>

>Fatal server error:
>
>could not open default font 'fixed'
>"

I suggest you send your Xf86config-4( I guess yours is a Deb Woody from
the Xfree86 version).It might give more insight.