Hi,

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 22:34:55 -0400
Rei Shinozuka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> well, lsmod did show:
>

> Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
> usb-storage            75136   0
>
> and interestingly, usbview
> showed the the card reader is recognized:
>
> http://www.shinozuka-family.com/USBViewer.jpg
>
> but the last 2 commands return errors:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# mount -t usbdevfs 0  /proc/bus/usb
> mount: 0 already mounted or /proc/bus/usb busy
> mount: according to mtab, usbdevfs is already mounted on
> /proc/bus/[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb/
> mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] root]#
>
> i feel we are getting closer!!
>
> thanks,

The error you get while trying to mount usbdevfs is a good thing - it
shows ussbdevfs is already mounted. Well there is one other thing, is
generic SCCI support enabled? This can be compiled into the kernel or
loaded as a module. lsmod should show the generic SCCI module as sg.
For example on my system, I get:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ /sbin/lsmod | grep sg
sg                     24420   0 (unused)

And if SCCI support is in the kernel (either as a module or compiled
in) and you still get an error trying to mount /dev/sda1, then I would
suggest trying to mount another SCCI drive. ie. Try
mount -t vfat /dev/sda2 /mnt/usb/
or
mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb/

I am not sure but I seem to recall that with generic scci, the first
'thingy' to use it gets the first scci device ie /dev/sda and the next
'thingy' gets the next scci device. So if something is using /dev/sda1
- for example a cd writer - then the usb device will be the next
available scci device.

regards,

John Kelly