Both Chris and Mark have replied to me privately on this, but replies to the list are more useful.

I aldready discarded Mark's reply, so I cannot forward it ... but he said he asked for more details and was told that the speedup issue involves SCSI I/O of some sort ... I've forgotten the specifics ... a topic way outside my expertise.

So while Chris was closer to the target than I, Mark really needs to post a more specific follopup to the list in order to get help.

At 09:30 AM 5/12/2004 -0500, Little, Chris wrote:
see, i took this to mean disk i/o.  the next guy might take it as video i/o.
vague questions lead to vague answers, eh?