[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> but I **think** you also need the module parport_pc to use a parallel
> printer.

I have done that: insmod parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7

then I get in dmesg 2 warnings and the message parport 0x378: "you gave this
address, but there is probably no parallel port there!"

After insmod parport_pc there is no more error message about 'cannot open
'/dev/lp0' 'No such device or address'

Doing lpr file gives some rumbling on the hd and lpq shows job done yet
nothing has been printed.

io=0x378 and irq=7 I got from the instructions on how to install the printer
card.

In bios onboard paraport is disabled.

"more /proc/pci" should give me the io and irq addresses of the card, it does
not. Could that mean that the card has not been detected at all by the system?

Kudzu does not indicate that it had found new hardware after the card was
installed.

This troubleshooting report is a bit of a hodgepodge of information, so a hodgepodge of suggestions is probably a proper response to it.

1. In the BIOS, do you have "PnP OS" set to NO? Or (if it is YES) do you have RH set up to do PnP for you? (I can't advise you as to how, since my practice is to let the BIOS handle PnP.) If I were to guess at this point, it would be that you have this setting wrong.

2. Does the BIOS report seeing the PCI card? BIOS information formats vary a lot, but usually there is a screen briefly displayed just before boot starts that shows IRQ info. With Linux, it will show up just before (and at first , right above) the LILO: prompt.

3. Look at your BIOS screens to see what IRQs it is set to assign to the various PCI slots. IRQ 7 is unlikely to be there by default (since it would normally be used by the mobo parport, the one you've disabled). Also check to see if you'ce reserved any IRQs for "legacy" use (which in this context means an ISA slot, if your mobo has one). With the details depending on your mobo and BIOS, there should *some* way to select IRQ 7 for the slot you have yoyur PCI card in.

4. If lpq shows the jobs as done, then lpd has managed to print them somewhere (from its perspective, anyway). So if you check /proc/interrupts, you should find some IRQ associated with the lp0 device, and in /proc/ioports some I/O base.

5. I prefer "/sbin/lspci" to "more /proc/pci", but that's just style, not substance. In either case, not finding an entry there does suggest the system is not detecting the card. This is almost surely a BIOS issue (or failure of the card itself), not a Linux issue.

6. If you just "insmod parport_pc", without forcing an IRQ and I/O base, what happens?

7. You said in an earlier message that all of this worked with Slackware. Were you referring to a Slackware install on this hardware, or to using this parport card in a different host that ran Slackware? (It's relevant to all this speculation I'm doing about BIOS problems.)