Hi everyone,

A friend and I had this strange problem with agpgart. He ahd upgraded his Woody to Sid just days ago and he is not able to get X to work(ver 4.4).
the X o/p says error unable to open /dev/agpgart : no such file or device.
This though /dev/agpgart exists with major/minor 10/175 (as in devices.txt).
After googling around , we decided to build a new kernel and built a kernel with the 2.4.26 source got with the The RedHat Distro(He also has RH)
with agpgart built in.
This didn't work either. Same error.
However, in RH, X worked fine
We then did an apt-get for the 2.6.6 image and booted thru it.now a newer, funkier message appeared and we ditched it immediately.
built a custom 2.6.6 and booted thru it, The same result.
Then 2.6.6 started rebooting mysteriously without cause. Thought it might be the APIC and disabled it, built a new kernel.
the other kernel too had the same problem.

Hardware : Intel 845G Chipset.

Another one of my friends with thesame chipset on woody got his X working.......

This guy might be employing me for some time and it would be nice if I impressed him with a solution :-)
So, anybody with any solutions, pleeeeze heeeeelpppp!

Thanx in advance,
Joy.M.M