On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, pa3gcu wrote:

> On another note, you may well have reasons for using such an old version of
> redhat however its very old and to be honest way out of date for programs and
> utilitys from recent times, therefor its maybe time to start thinking about
> upgrading your 7.3 to a more recent version, or if you have a spare partition
> or a spare disk then simply install a more recent version on that space and
> leave the old version intact allowing you to compare the two.
> Having said that Redhat upgrade's are quite easy and keeps your old stuff.

 7.3 is still supported by the fedora legacy project
(http://www.fedoralegacy.org) although I've no experience of them.  A
quick look in my local mirror suggests they have _somewhat_ newer
versions of automake and autoconf for 7.3.  Presumably, your error
messages will tell you _which_ minimum versions you need.

 And maybe I should add that RH itself has moved out of this market -
even RH 9 is no longer supported.  The fedora project (not the same as
fedora legacy!) trials things before they get into RH enterprise, but
may be a bumpy ride for some users (e.g. people trying to dual-boot, as
of earlier this month).

Ken