At 09:20 PM 6/29/2004 -0400, Anshuman Singh Rawat wrote:
Hi,
Is there any way one can open a port, in my specific case - the ARP port, so that I could do an Arping without a root access ?

Or is there any way the root could give permission to a user to open a port ?

Or does anyone know a way by which I can extract the MAC address of a remote machine in a different subnet, where I do not have to be a super-user?

Thanks.

Others already suggested "sudo" as the way to deal with the arping problem. But... are you really able to use arping to get MAC addresses of hosts not on the Ethernet local to the host you arping from? (I assume that is what you mean by "in a different subnet".)

I was curious about this, so I tested it here. With the current Debian-Sid version of arping, arping'ing the IP address of a host on my DMZ from my LAN returns the MAC address of my router (since it does proxy arp), NOT the MAC address of the target host's own interface. If I arping the actual MAC address of the DMZ host (as shown in the arp table of my router), I get no response.

Am I missing something? I ask because this problem -- how to get the MAC address of a non-local host -- comes up again and again, and I always believed there was no solution to it (excluding ones that involve running some application on the target host). Am I mistaken?