On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, James Miller wrote:

> Using sort of a scatter-gun (maybe scatter-brained?) approach to the
> problem of booting a USB drive, I've managed to install a base Debian file
> system to the USB drive.  Yes, the new beta Sarge installer gave me the
> option of installing the system there.  Booting is, as has been alluded in
> the earlier booting from USB exchange on this list, another matter.
> Since the system is meant to use the 2.4.25-1-386 kernel, I've decided I
> should try and compile that kernel with the root file system mounting
> delay patch we've spoken about.  But, I've gotten stuck at the patching
> phase.  I'm actually using directions for patching a 2.4.23 kernel that I
> found on another USB booting site (
> http://www.freewebs.com/tsj/bootingUSB_ldp_v0.1.htm ) that suggests
> applying the patch to do_mounts.c .  When I try to apply the patch using
> the directions found at that site, I get the following:
>
> [11:39:[EMAIL PROTECTED] kernel-source-2.4.25$ patch -p0
> <kernel2-4-25patch
> patching file init/do_mounts.c
> patch: **** malformed patch at line 5: static void __init mount_root(void)

 I've seen this when I was hand-editing a diff to only use some of the
changes in a file.  Can be caused by errors in the "magic numbers"
saying how many lines change/where they are.  This sort of thing means
the patch will not apply for *anyone*, so you might want to see if the
version you got was corrupted, or has been updated.

 If the file isn't very big, you can copy the code in a text editor, but
that isn't recommended for a newbie list because you need to understand
what the code is doing.

 Also, you don't need to be root until you are trying to install things,
and setting PS1 to end '\$' (with the whole string in _single_ quotes)
will change the prompt to end in '#' when you _are_ root.

Ken