At 12:08 PM 7/20/2004 -0500, James Miller wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Kev wrote:

> >If memory serves (I'm not certain, though), the stock Debian install kernel
> >does NOT contain support for NICs that use the rtl8139 driver (or the newer
> >8139too driver). If that's the "comm one" you are referring to, you will
> >need to add a module for it to do an online install.
>
> LAN cards are both, Realtek RTL8139

I know I'm being timorous for questioning your memory here Ray, but I'm
almost sure when I did my Debian install here (starting from floppies) on
my machine that has an onboard rtl8139 NIC, I did get network support
without loading of additional modules.  If I'm wrong - well, what do you
expect from a newbie? :)

About as much as I expect from an old timer with a failing memory. (That's why I said I wasn't certsin when I posted it ... being lazy, these days I *always* put a tulip-based NIC in any system I am setting up, then switch to its "real" NIC after I have the kernel I actually want to use on the system installed.)