At 11:58 AM 7/28/2004 -0400, Eve Atley wrote:
Hello all,

We use Redhat 9 as our server and router, and Bastille as our firewall on
that box. I have set up Bastille so it allows port 80 requests from our
external IP (ie. 209.158.555.123). However, I can't figure out how to
forward port 80 to an internal machine (ie. 192.168.10.28).

I have been reading online articles first, and I guess it has something to
do with iptables? I have seen the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file, and it looks like
greek to me. I believe I need to do something like this:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to
10.0.4.2:80

But it all has [0.0] and such before it, with a final line of COMMIT.

I don't understand this last sentence. But the rule that precedes it is *almost* what you need. Here, we use this rule (forwarding mutiple ports to the same DMZ host):

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --destination A.B.C.D -m multiport\
 --destination-port 22,25,80,443 -j DNAT --to-destination a.b.c.d

(I've replaced the source and destination addresses with dummy values)

There are probably many variants that would work for you. Based on what we use here, one of them should be:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --destination 209.158.555.123 \
 --destination-port 80 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.10.28

You also need a rule in the default table that ACCEPTs incoming port-80 traffic. Our actual ruleset here is sufficiently nonstandard that it will not serve as an example for you, but that is a basic enough rule that you should have no troubnle adding it if you need to.

I have examined /etc/sysctl.conf and see that port forwarding is turned on.

Can somebody point me in the right direction as to what file I must
configure, or what commands I must use to forward port 80 to 192.168.10.28?

I have tried from an external terminal, and I can't even access the server
(ie. 209.185.555.123). I have no entry in hosts.allow for HTTPD as I wasn't
sure what syntax to be using. Is it:
httpd: ALL ?

One moe clarification: iptables rules function as a set, not in isolation. For the above rule, or any similar rule, to work, there must be no prior rules in the table that match the packet and direct it elsewhere. If a prior rule matches these packets, they will never rwach this rule so not be DNAT'd.