Thanks Ray! I just solved the problem.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>  Might this be a memory (or swap partition) problem? What does  "free" report
> about memory and swap usage just before you try to start  Gnome or KDE? Are
> you able to use swap successfully in other ways?

The bloke in the computer shop had the System Share Memory Size in the BIOS
set to 8. When I now reset it to the original 32 everything is working again
fine. I saw him fumbling around the BIOS, however he was so fast that I could
not follow.

I got the idea after your hint above when I noticed that the swap memory was
not really used after having opened in twm via xterm applications like
abiword, gnumeric, konqueror, gkrellm simultaneously, then trying to open
other applications I would get segmentation fault. After closing abiword,
gnumeric, etc they could not be reopened, segmentation fault. Even rebooting
would not completely finish and end with segmentation fault.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> Have I correctly identified your mobo as the following?
>          http://www.baber.com/baber/411/ecs_p6stmt.htm
yes

[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> what do you mean by "I bought an USB adopter"?

That should naturally read adapter.
It plugs on one end into the USB socket of the mobo and has 2 sockets on the
other end, one for kb and one for mouse.

Regards