At 12:35 PM 8/14/2004 -0800, dave wrote:
OK I installed Mandrake 10 official and all things seem to be normal. I still get the same message when I try to run a bash script.

#!/bin/env
bash

shopt -s -o nounset

declare LINE

exec 3< /home/dave/scripts/test.dat

while read LINE <&3 ; do
 printf "%s\n" "$LINE"
done

exit 0

and here is the error message I get.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] scripts]$ ./new.sh
: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
[EMAIL PROTECTED] scripts]$

Anyone have any ideas. I used whereis bash and it returned /bin/bash.
Everything seems normal and I guess I'm over my head. Anyone with any suggestions?

You made two changes, not one. You both changed the distro install ("installed Mandrake 10") -AND- changed the shebang line in the script ("#!/bin/env"). The second change is definitely wrong.

Go back to the original shebang line ("#!/bin/bash") and see if it works now. It does on my system (that is, I get errors, but they involve my not having a file named /home/dave/scripts/test.dat).

Or make the first line (probably; check where "env' is on your system) "#!/usr/bin/env bash". It too works here (up to the same error).

BTW, if I have the interpreter name wrong, I get a slightly different form of error message from you (on a Debian-Sid install). Here, I changed "bash" to "nash" and got this:

-bash: ./testscript.sh: /bin/nash: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

Not sure why you're not seeing all that stuff to the left of the ": bad interpreter" part. Could just be a difference between your default shell and mine (2.05b-19). Or it might indicate something odd about your script that is not making it through a representation as e-mail.