On Monday 13 September 2004 08:52, Donald Duckie wrote:
> hi!
>
> can somebody please tell me what's going on with this.
> i have been changing my makefiles, in which i have
> been going in circles now.

You should have told us just what you are tying to do and how you are trying
to achive it, yes one can see you are compiling, but what commands did you do
beforehand, no way should you need to change Makefiles period, you may want
to edit the Top dir Makefile and add an EXTRAVERSION number tho'. which may
well save you a lot of problems if you succed in compiling and then the
kernel wont boot.
Anyway, your directory sructure is broken, as i see it you have a directory or
a symlink called /usr/src/inux-sh-2.4.18 you can have your source in any
directory you want, _however_ you are well advised to create a symlink called
linux pointing to where ever your source is, here is an example.

cd /usr/src
ls -al
linux -> linux-sh-2.4.18
linux-sh-2.4.18

> gcc -Wall -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE
> -I/usr/src/linux-sh-2.4.18//include -O -g
> -DSNULL_DEBUG  -I.. -M snull.c > .depend
> In file included from
> /usr/src/linux-sh-2.4.18/include/linux/config.h:4,
>                  from snull.c:25:
> /usr/include/linux/autoconf.h:1:2: #error Invalid
> kernel header included in userspace
> In file included from snull.c:51:
> /usr/src/linux-sh-2.4.18/include/asm/checksum.h:72:30:
> warning: multi-line string literals are deprecated
> /usr/src/linux-sh-2.4.18/include/asm/checksum.h:105:17:
> warning: multi-line string literals are deprecated
> /usr/src/linux-sh-2.4.18/include/asm/checksum.h:121:13:
> warning: multi-line string literals are deprecated
> /usr/src/linux-sh-2.4.18/include/asm/checksum.h:161:17:
> warning: multi-line string literals are deprecated
> make: *** [.depend] Error 1

All the errors are from 'depend' that means you possably have NOT configured
your kernel to start with.

For a quick HOWTO on making kernels goto;
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/kernel.htm
Its old but is still valid for 2.4.x kernels.

Or read the README in the kernel source or read the Kernel-HOWTO found mostly
in /usr/share/doc/*
Or
http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/Kernel-HOWTO.html

--
If the Linux community is a bunch of theives because they
try to imitate windows programs, then the Windows community

Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/