In doing a demo before a class (Linux Red-hat 2.4.18-14), I used the uniq
command on a file (dup_nums) that consisted of twelve lines, each line
containing a number, from one to 9. I repeated the numbers, 6, 8, and 9.
The std output showed the expected list of numbers, all duplicates
removed. At a student's suggestion, I ran uniq again, but this time
directed the output to the file itself....

uniq dup_num > dup_num

...and, lo and behold, the file dup_num was empty. I checked uniq --help,
info uniq, and man uniq, all to no avail. Shouldn't uniq have removed the
duplicate numbers and written one through 9 to the file?

Bill stanard