Peter H. wrote:
Hi,

Slackware 10

When I switch to kernel 2.6.7 I get the following error message on boot:

 * Warning: The dma on your hard drive is turned off. *
 * This may really slow down the fsck process. *

Apparently with the command "hdparm -d /dev/hda" dma is turned on.

Where in /etc/rc.d if that is the place do I put this command?

However, giving the command from the console as root after booting I get:

setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

How to resolve?

Thanks & regards

What kind of hard drive and IDE chipset does it have? I know some drives were recently added to a no-DMA blacklist for behaving badly. Normally, dma is supposed to be enabled by default, and only disabled when a known-bad hard drive or IDE controller is found.

On my Slack 10.0 server, I put hdparm in rc.local. My rc.local:

(most of the disk storage is on SCSI drives, /dev/hda is just the boot drive due to a POS BIOS that can't boot off of expansion cards)

#!/bin/sh
#
# /etc/rc.d/rc.local:  Local system initialization script.
#
# Put any local setup commands in here:

# enable 32-bit mode, turn on APM, set spindown for 1 hour, # unmask IRQ's, nd set the keep-settings flag for /dev/hda hdparm -c 1 -B 128 -S 242 -u 1 -k -q /dev/hda

# get the date from VT's NTP server and start the local time server ntpdate ntp-1.vt.edu ntpd &

#start the SMART monitoring tools smartd &