At 05:00 PM 11/21/2004 -0600, James Miller wrote:
On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, mike wrote:

> I have a question, when I'm on my many searchs for answers I come
> across pages in different languages (my native is english).
> I use Google and it translates some, not always that well though.
>
> Is there a linux program I can use to translate pages or is there a
> better aproach?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Hello Mike:

I do a bit of computer translation as well, mostly using my machine as an
electronic dictionary when I must read materials in French or German or
look into the subtelties of some ancient Greek or Hebrew passage.  I don't
know of anything that runs natively on Linux that does the sort of thing I
need: I had to buy vmware and install Windows under Linux to get that
functionality (I sorely hope I made a big mistake and overlooked some
Linux program[s], but I doubt it).  I do occasionally want to translate a
longer passage to figure out some wierd or unfamiliar syntax or idiom, and
the program I use for that is called Systran.  It does ok, but must always
be double-checked by someone who at least knows the grammatical
conventions of the language being translated and can use a dictionary.
That's a Windows program though.  I tried getting it to install and work
under WINE/Codeweavers, but had no success.  If I were more of a hacker I
might be able to figure out why and get it running.  But I'm just a lowly
humanties scholar :).  In summary, I don't think you'll find anything at
all that runs under Linux that will do machine translation.  If you find
such a thing, I'd love to know about it.  The only thing you'll probably
find will be languageA -> languageB dictionaries.  Using the online
translators like Google has (Altavista has one too--not sure how/if it
differs) is about the best bet.  You might also, as a slightly different
approach to that same method, look into Firefox's extensions: if there's
not already a page translating extension, I'd be surprised if someone
doesn't create one soon.

Relative to your comments, James, I fear I can only echo your lack of success. I recently was investigating, specifically, English-Spanish translation. While I did find a couple of Linux apps that function at the dictionary level ... translating words and short phrases, but with no sensitivity to context ... I found nothing in the way of babelfish-like translation for Linux.