Thanks for all responses -- Ray, I had removed a couple of
comments from the pasted .fetchmailrc in the email composer.
Hence the discrepancy about line number errors. :-?

Following Amin's advice I tried to run fetchmail from the
cmd-line and I could'nt authenticate myself (I am 100% sure
about keying in the correct passwd):

$ fetchmail --keep --username "karthikv" newdoc.dartmouth.org
Enter password for [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
fetchmail: Authorization failure on
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
fetchmail: Query status=3 (AUTHFAIL)

What is going on here? Please advice on how to proceed next.

Thanks,

-K