I don't know enough about the differences between libtiff3g and libtiff4 to know how reasonable your symlinking is in a substantive sense (shared libraries aren't horseshoes, after all, though they sometimes seem to resemble hand granades).

I did check and I see that Debian-Sid still maintains both packages separately ... so the maintainers presumably see some important difference, since they do not adopt your approach. (It does make me wonder why Ubuntu offers only one of the choices, though.) I didn't check what Woody or Sarge offer.

So ... one workaround would be to install libtiff3g from whichever Debian distribution (Woody, Sarge, or Sid) you got links2 from. Another would be to do the links2 install from Debian-Sid, since its version of links2 depends on libtiff4, not libtiff3g.

Or ... the simplest solution might be to use the version of links2 provided by Ubuntu, not the Debian one. It appears to be available at ...

        http://mirror.isp.net.au/ftp/pub/ubuntu/pool/universe/l/links2/

... though I don't know why it is not in whatever repository you use.