At 03:57 PM 1/27/2005 +0800, Peter H. wrote:

Hi,

In slackware10 for some time trying to play mp3 files I get a very distorted
sound with xmms-1.2.10. Whereas in Fedora2 mp3 files do not play at all with
xmms-1.2.10 in fact they don't enter the play list. In both the plugin for
mpeg is enabled. Playing from MusicCDs is no problem.

As far as I can remember xmms used to play mp3 files or am I deceived, and I
cannot tell when it exactly started

Anyhow what could be the reason? Xine, gxine, totem, mpg321 and snack all play
mp3 files.

First, I can confirm that my (Debian-Sid) version of xmms ("Version: 1.2.10-1") plays stereo MP3s just fine. I do see a problem with a mono MP3 I made -- it plays at double speed -- but I don't imagine that's what you mean by "very distorted". (Anyway, I have the same problem with mono oggs, so it is not an MP3-specific problem, more likely a mistake in the way I'm recording them with gramofile.)

For the distro that doesn't play them at all, or even show them in the playlist (if they don't "enter the playlist", how do you even *attempt* actually to play them?), my first guess would be that you are mistaken in assuming that the mp3 plugin is properly installed. Or possibly the filenames use an extension that xmms does not recognise as MP3 (see if you have "Detect files by content (instead of file extension)" enabled in Preferences ->Audio I/O Plugins ->MPEG ... ->Configure).

For the distro that does play them, I'd suspect a mismatch between xmms and the sound driver; double check what "output" driver xmms is using (in Preferences-> Audio I/O Plugins) and if it is compatible with your kernel's sound drivers (if you are using ALSA, you might need to add some of the OSS-compatibility modules). You might see if other file types (ogg, even wav) play properly from the hard disk (not from a CD; that normally uses a direct connection between the CD drive and the sound card and is irrelevent to this diagnosis because it bypasses the kernel's sound stuff). Also confirm that the other playback apps, like mpg321 and xine, work on that distro, if you haven't already done this (I can't be sure from what you wrote if you did those tests with both distros or just Fedora).

If you need more help, the possibilities I've suggested should indicate the sort of additional information you should supply, along with a more descriptive characterization of the Slackware version of the symptom.

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.7.4 - Release Date: 1/25/2005