At 01:31 PM 3/2/2005 -0700, frans toruan wrote:
Hi, Ray . . .

As you suggested the last time, I succeeded in connecting my machine to
the net, just by deleting the name of my LAN nameserver from the DNS
search list.
Now, I can already browse the net and send/receive mail, using Ximian
Evolution ( included in RHL 9 ).
My new problem is when I tried to send mail via Pine 4.4.( through the
x-terminal ). In configuration, I use the name of my ISP in the
user-domain column, and the name of my SMTP server in the smtp-server
name.
I succeeded to send a mail into my other address ( within the LAN ), and
retrieved it under Windowz ( dual booting, in the same machine ).
But, when I send to another address outside of the LAN, I failed.
What could have happened?
Below, I attached the data.
[data deleted here]

I read the traffic on linux-newbie pretty regularly, Frans, so there's really no need to send me a personal copy of a message you're posting to the list.

As to your actual problem, I'm not able to give you specific advice ... the last time I used pine was back around 1998. But what you're running into may not be a pine problem as such.

If I follow you, your workstation uses an on-LAN SMTP server to send mail. Using it, you were able to send mail successful to another on-LAN address, but not to a couple of addresses off-LAN. In using these terms, you mean, I suspect, that the successful address can be reached for delivery without going to any off-LAN SMTP server (your ISP's forwarder, for example, or the SMTP server identified by the MX record for the destination FQDN) ... that is, the on-LAN SMTP server recognizes your "other address (within the LAN)" as one it can deliver to locally.

This causes me to suspect that your on-LAN SMTP server is not properly configured to send mail off-LAN. I don't know enough about your site (or anything about the SMTP server itself) to know what exactly is wrong, but there are many possibilities. If the SMTP server uses direct delivery, your ISP may block outgoing port-25 traffic to force its customers to use their forwarder. If you are using their forwarder, there could be a problem with its requiring POP-before-SMTP authentication, or you might be running into some sort of anti-relaying measure.

Since you dual-boot into Windows, what SMTP server is your Windows MUA set to use? If the on-LAN SMTP server works fine with a WIndows MUA but not with a Linux UA, then of course my guessing here is off target ... but in that case you'll need help from someone who has more revent experience with pine than I have.