For since this will be taking place on my file server with most files
being accessed through SMB, I think I will just take the approach of
setting the mask values in smb.conf. In my case that would probably be
the best bet to get what I want. It just sucks when someone creates a
folder to put music in, and no one else can add to that folder without
root going in and changing permissions.

Thanks,

Michael Turcotte
Information Systems
City of North Bay
200 McIntyre St. E
PO Box 360
North Bay, Ontario
P1B 8H8

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.cityofnorthbay.ca

that
> is defined independently of the account doing the creation (so the
> bash-based umask won't serve his purpose). In effect, he wants to set
> default umask not for a user but for a directory.
>
> I have never run across any way to do this directly in Linux (or
Unix). If
> the files are all being created (or transferred) via some specific
> program,
> there *might* be a way to set a default umask for that program (as
samba
> does, for example ... do you know if any ftp and scp servers offer
this
> capability? wu-ftpd lists a -u switch, but I don't see anything for
stock
> sshd, which seems to use the uid's umask). But that's still different
from
> the directory itself.
>
> Eve's proposed approach ... the cron script ... may seem a bit clunky
at
> first glance, but I suspect it really is the best solution for her,
and
> perhaps for Mike and anyone else who needs this capability.
>
> Or am I missing something? I always feel on safer ground when
explaining
> how something *can* be done then when I say something *cannot* be
done.
> Still, something "no way" really is the correct answer.
>

> -
linux-newbie" in