At 11:16 PM 3/29/2005 -0800, Ankit Jain wrote:
hi

i have forgotten my root pasword. i had installed
redhat linux 9.0 kernel version 2.4 with grub loader.
if somebody can tell me how to change the password
without logging.

The normal solution to this sort of problem is to boot the system using a rescue disk (floppy or CD, depending on your hardware); mount the filesystem with the password problem at some convenient mount point; and delete the root password entry from /etc/shadow . Then reboot normally, log in as root (with no password) and set a new root password. Do all of this with the system disconnected from the Internet, of course, until you have a new root password in place.

Any other suggestion of how to become root without knowing the root password is a technique for breaking into systems, and I (and I hope everyone else) will not give advice on that publicly, in this forum or anywhere else.