At 05:40 AM 4/8/2005 -0600, smertz wrote:
I did a install of RH ES4 a week ago and am very new to Linux. I want this box to be a file and print server for a home WORKGROUP, not a DOMAIN.

So first problem is I am tying to set up a printer to share with my 2 windows XP boxes. However they can not browse to the printer or see it with the add printer wizard in XP. Since my DNS info comes from my ISP, I'm wondering what needs to be set in Globals section for domain master browser.

The only relevant thing I see missing from your setup, compared to my own (the host that is both the master and the print server), is

        wins support = yes

Also does the Linux box need to be part of the WORKGROUP?

No, if you mean the *same* WORKGROUP that the XP host is in. It needs to be part of *some* WORKGROUP, of course (as you already have it, below).

Does anything have to be set up in XP for them to see this printer on Linux attached locally to a USB port. I can see and print to it in Linux. I know there have been volums written on Samba, but it seems to me sharing a printer should be simple.

It is, at least to Win2K hosts (I don't have XP running here yet). If the problem is on the XP side, a Linux list probably is not the best place to get detailed advice.

I just want XP users to use their own driver and use the guest account for printing.

What guest account? Your config file doesn't set one up. Mine has (in global)

        guest account = samba

Fro win XP I can see the Linux box, but can't see the Printer.

What does "see" mean in the phrase "can see the Linux box"? Do you mean it shows up in My Network Places and in Settings->Printers->Add Printer (but without the actual printer showing)? If not, please clarify.

I assume "can't see the Printer" means it does not show up in Settings->Printers->Add Printer (or however XP does it; this is the Win2K sequence). Again, if I've misread you, please clarify.

My smb.conf file.

 [global]
         workgroup = MERTENS
         server string = Samba Server
         security = SHARE
         password server = None
         passdb backend = guest
         username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
         max log size = 50
         os level = 34
         preferred master = No
         domain master = No

I'm not sure about these two. My own file doesn't set these values either way. I *think* that just affects DNS, not WINS, resolution, but I'm not certain of this.

         dns proxy = No
         ldap ssl = no
         idmap uid = 16766216-33123431
         idmap gid = 16766216-33123431
         cups options = raw
         load printers = yes
         printing = cups
         printcap name = cups

I haven't switched to CUPS here, so I can't confirm that that part is right. Aside from that, and my comments above, this part looks fine.

 [homes]
         comment = Home Directories
         read only = No
         browseable = No

This part is irrelevent to printer issues.

 [printers]
         comment = All Printers
         path = /var/spool/samba
         printable = Yes
         browseable = No
         public = yes
         guest ok = yes
         writable = no
         printer admin = root

 [HP6110]
         comment = All Printers
         path = /var/spool/samba
         printer admin = root
         read only = No
         guest ok = Yes
         printable = Yes
         printer name = HP6110
         use client driver = Yes
         browseable = No
         oplocks = Yes

I'm not clear on why you have 2 entries for what appears to be the same printer (perhaps the "use client driver" line?). Other than that, this part looks fine.