On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 10:04 -0500, James Miller wrote:
> Among various frustrations recently I've had the gratifying success of
> learning how to use streamripper to augment my music collection.
> Streamripper is a program that writes an audio stream (e.g., from internet
> radio) to your hard drive as an mp3 file. This is about the closest thing
> to the mythical "Rivo" (Tivo for radio) that currently exists, I think,
> and could maybe serve as the basis for a *real* Rivo-type program, should
> someone really decide to develop one.
>
> Despite the success, there are some problems--mainly having to do with
> file names. I've found a nice commercial-free classical (Baroque) station
> and have been happily recording away for the last 24 hrs or so. The
> streamripper program was evidently written for rock or more popular genres
> and tries to detect breaks between songs so as to make discrete files from
> them. For whatever strange reason, it has a problem detecting beginnings
> and endings between movements in classical music (despite the noticeable
> pause) and wants to break between movements about 30 seconds into the next
> movement, rather than at the pause. The cat command seems to fix this,
> though:
>
> cat movement1.mp3 >full-piece.mp3
> cat movement2.mp3 >>full-piece.mp3
> cat movement3.mp3 >>full-piece.mp3
>
> The breaks at 30 seconds into the following movement are hardly even
> noticeable in the full-piece.mp3 (I don't have the kind of purist
> standards I used to when it comes to audio quality, though).
>
> But, on to file names. unfortunately, the names for the pieces I'm
> recording from this station follow Windows long-file-naming conventions.
> Even worse, the names tend to be quite complex and long. Here are a couple
> of examples:
>
> Anton\ Reicha-\ Albert\ Schweitzer\ Quintett\ -\ Wind\ Quintet\ No.9\
> in\ D\ major\ Op.91\ No.3-\ Finale-\ Allegretto.mp3
>
> Patrick\ Cohen\ \&\ Mosaiques\ Quartet\ -\ Quintet\ For\ Piano\ \&\
> Strings\ In\ D\ Major\,\ Op.565\,\ G411\ -.\ Andante\ Come\
> Prima.mp3
>
> Feeding those names to cat so I can join the movements into a single file
> is going to be a major pain in the wazoo, as they say down at symphony
> hall. What I was hoping to find is a script that would automatically
> convert all the wierd characters into more standard Unix file-naming
> characters. But so far I've come up empty-handed. Can anyone point me to
> some utility that might do what I need?
>
> As a last resort, I might try to write my own script. I'm not too hot on
> doing that though, since I'm at an extremely rudimentary level when it
> comes to script writing. If it comes to that, could someone maybe help me
> get started by giving an example for a script that would do the renaming I
> want? I'd like to retain the bulk of the information, though I don't mind
> truncating words at, say 5 letters. I suppose the main thing would be
> replaing all the spaces and/or punctuation with dashes and/or underscores.

> [...]

I just tried this with some mp3 tracks I have here:

cat Really\ Annoying\ File <hit tab key> Second Ultra\ Irritating\ File
<hit tab key>  > testfile.mpg

Seems to work and saves a lot of typing. Of course if you have a large
number of such files even this could get to be a pain, I guess.

By the way, since you like Streamripper, have a look at Streamtuner:

http://www.nongnu.org/streamtuner/

It integrates with Streamripper for click-the-button recording of
streams. Very nice app - the latest version includes a number of sources
as indices, including Xiph, Shoutcast and Live365 as well as a complete
index of your local files, each of these categories having its own tab.

Peter