ymc014 wrote:
Hello,

    I really apologize for not informing in advance that this is the first
time I've used linux,I've been using windows through the years,from windows
95 up to windows XP(my OS before I've decided to switch to Linux) so I do
not really know what is "modprobe sb","lspci-vv" etc., I am reading a FAQ
though(as of this writing I've just open the link to a FAQ given below) but
for now I may not be able to give you the details that you want to know to
help me except for my hardware or system.

Yeah, I pretty much read you as a first-timer from your earlier message. That's why I gave you the *exact* commands you need to type in to get the relevant information. All you need to do is type what I wrote and look at (or send us) the output. But see below; you probably do not actually have to go through all of that now.

I have a fairly new sytem: Pentium 4, speed 2.8 GHz (HyperThread and of course a suitable motherboard) 512MB RAM(PC-400 Kingston) 80 GB Seagate HDD(not SATA) Soundcard: It says here in the box,Creative SoundBlaster Audigy LS Asian Edition

OS: Windows XP Home Edition

Ah, that explains the problem. The Creative Website that you probably found says, in part --

"Some OEM cards and the latest retail boards (such as the Dell CT0200 and the Audigy LS) will not work with the drivers included in most Linux distributions. For those cards, try the latest code from ALSA or purchase a driver from 4FrontTechnologies."

Unless you want to pay for the proprietary 4Front drivers (I'm not familiar with them myself), it sounds like you need to use the ALSA sound modules, not the standard (OSS) modules that come with the Linux kernel.

Use the Red Hat Package Manager utilities (rpm-find, I think) to find the alsa package (its name will probably be something like alsa-modules-2.4-something-or-other) and install it on your system. (One of the Red Hat or Fedora users here will have to help you with using rpm, since I use a different distro and have not used rpm in 5 or more years.) Also look for a package named something like alsa-utils ... it includes, among other things, an app that will detect your sound card and set up the alsa modules to support it.

So there,and by the way,although the price of a soundcard here is affordable,I have just bought my soundcard last december and I am wont to use it.

I will take up your suggestion though to try Fedora but I will have to
familiarize first this one. I appreciate very much your help.Thank You.
[old stuff deleted]