>> Thanks!  That was a pretty good primer!  Anyone know of any FAQ'a on how
>> to get X running on a remote Windows PC?

>(Taken from an old Linux Unleashed book)
>You can log into remote machines by using the "xterm -display" option,
>provided you have set up your Linux machine for networks. (standard
>TCP/IP stuff, nfs is not necessary). The remote system must allow you to
>open a display on its machine. This is done with the "xhost +" command
>on its machine.
>When you want to open an xterm on the remote machine, alma, run this
>command: (open a telnet session and run this command)
>"xterm -display alma:0.0 &"
>good luck!

In my experiences with this it is fairly easy (I do it on a daily basis).
Depending on your version of *nix you need to set your environmental
DISPLAY variable to the ip address (or name) of the machine that you wish
to run the remote applications on.

Please note that the advice below is to run all applications on the Win95
machine (with some sore of x emu).  ie: you want to avoid typing '-display
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:0.0' after each command.

In my case I use the following:

Solaris:  'setenv DISPLAY=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:0.0' (no quotes of course).  Make
sure there is a xwin application running on the Win95 machine (I prefer
xceed or xwin) with the ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.  Then simply type in the
command at the prompt (ie: xterm)

but this should also work:

Linux:  'export DISPLAY=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:0.0'.  The rest of the steps are
the same as detailed above.  I am not positive about the 'export' part as I
mostly do this from a unix machine and not a Linux machine but someone else
may be able to confirm this for you.

Also, if you (like many of us) are running a *nux box that has no monitor
(ie: is a server for the network) or is in a location that prevents you
from being able to access both computers simultaneosly, you can perform the
same tasks by logging in to the *nix machine via telnet session, and
execute the commands in the same way.

Let me know if this helps you out. . as for books on this subject, I cannot
make a recommendation on that as most books I have seen only cover this
type of activity in very limited fashion.

[Sn]

  • RE: Corrigan, Brian
    • Re: Jonathan Sprague
      • Mar[Sn]i