On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Scorpion wrote:

> Gevaerts Frank wrote:
>
> > Are you sure it would not be more work to get that working than
> > learning how the XF86Config file works?
> > I studied the howtos in /usr/doc/faq/howto (XFree86-HOWTO) and
> > /etc/X11/doc/VideoModes.doc, until I could edit XF86Config by hand;
> > and I have the best possible settings for any resolution I want for my
> > particular card/monitor combination.
> > No configuration tool can give me the same flexibility
>
> Xconfigurator is easier.  All I had to do was let it figure everything
> out then selcet my resolution.  I don't need it anymore as I found out
> how to get the correct number of colors and the correct screen size.
>
> startx -- -bpp 16

Of course it's easier. What I was trying to say is that "porting" it to
slackware might involve installing lots of libraries and some tweaking. In
that case, learning the XF86Config syntax might be the best solution. I
think it's worth learning anyway, even if you use GUI tools. I think
learning what all those numbers on monitor and video card specs mean is
definitely worth it.

> Later
> Scorpion

Frank