aoc :

in the e-mial beolw you suggest I check my permissions - remember (because
I mention it) that this is all done as root, so I would think permissions
would be irrelevant, especially if the httpd is starting at boot.

actually over the last 24 hours I seem to have done something that
prevents http from starting at boot!

thansk for the reply

I will recheck my permissions