Hi there, I was in your position a couple of months ago when I wanted to
do the same thing. Here are my suggestions:
1) You do not need any particular database on Linux. There are many free
and commercial dbases that are available. I personally have used the
postgresql (http://www.postgresql.org) database but people also have
recommended the mySql ( or is it mSql?) database. Both are free and
provide reasonably decent performance.
2) Any web designing tool is fine. I assume that a "web form designing
tool" is one that will allow you to code pages to retrieve and display
the information from the database. In this case I recommend the PHP
hypertext preprocessor. Check out the website (www.php.net) for more
info. It also is free. Of course, you could always go the more
traditional route of CGI/perl/etc. but I found the above to be good
enough for my needs.
3) If you would like to try the above route, I would recommend a great
article by UnixWorld (now Network Computing) online about the above
topic. I can't seem to be able to find it at the moment, but maybe
someone else knows where it is and can help out.

I hope that this info can be of assistance to you and others who may
want to database-enable their sites. As always, post any other questions
that you have and we'll try to help.

Ray