Well, although no one has actually told me how to fix this, I stumbled on
a sort of solution when I was installing Linux on her PC.  It depends a
great deal on yr BIOS, really.  If you can, set yr boot options in yr BIOS
so that the CD-ROM is checked first, and shove the RH 5.1 CD into the
drive.  If all goes well, you will get the rescue CD menu, and the boot
works splendidly after that.  Using an actual rescue disk could (possibly)
have similar effect.
        What is the real problem?  Can it be fixed?  I don't know.
Personally, I use SuSE 'cause I got sick of things like this happening on
RH distributions.  Once I get yet another HDD, however, I'll probably
throw on RH.  It's not a bad product, but it's buggier than I'd like...

                                                -Chris