On 22 Aug 1998, Scorpion wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Just so you know, this is [EMAIL PROTECTED]  I just got a new address
> to put my mailing lists on, to keep it separte from my regular mail.
>
> A few weeks ago, my Grandma gave me a Scanner for my birthday (my 17th
> birthday is still 1 1/2 months away!).  I would like to know what program to
> use under Linux for scanning.  Also, are there any of those programs that
> convert scanned text into a .txt file?

There is a program called SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy), that can work
standalone or as a plugin for GIMP. You can find it at
<http://www.mostang.com/sane/>. I once used it with my QuickCam, I don't
know how well it works with scanners, although it seems pretty complete.
For conversion to .txt, I once found xocr (it's somewhere on sunsite).
Looks nice, but fails with a segmentation fault on my machine.

> Does anyone know of a good .mpg/.mov/.qt/.avi player (with sound) for Linux?
>
> You know how the BASH prompt looks different on different distributions?  Is
> the format saved in a file somewhere?  I want my Slackware prompt to look like
> the Redhat prompt.

/etc/profile

> And last, an off topic question.  I found some bad sectors on my swap
> partition.  I don't have enough money yet to get a new hard drive.  How safe
> is it to use my hard drive?

no idea, although I once read that someone erased a block of 10% of his
disk size, just to test ext2fs. Seems that only the files that were on the
erased block were lost forever, all other files could be rescued (NTFS
lost the whole partition's contents in the same test). You could try to
find a second hand (small)  harddrive to put a working system on, together
with your important data; and only use the other one for less important
stuff.

> Thanks.
> Chris

Frank