Hi Bill,

Hey, this just might be my first intelligent post..I am so excited.

I just installed n/s 4.5 to take a look see and it seems to me that it (ns-install) asked you where you wanted to install netscape.  Me being somewhat paranoid and 4.5 being a beta, I installed it in a /usr/local/netscape2 so I wouldn't lose the working copy of netscape (4.05 I believe) I had.  There is a binary in there called (oddly enough) 'netscape'.  I imagine that with the standard RedHat, big brother like install there is a binary (probably in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin) that is also called 'netscape' that you are running whenever you do whatever you do to run it normally...um, that is Linux will run the first binary that it encounters in you path statement and it is getting to the original instead of the one you installed. I would check that out first.  If what I said is true, you could just delete/rename/symlink your way to make linux find the netscape you want.  Or you could just type /usr/local/netscape/netscape to get it going every time :-)  There are about 1000 ways to do most things in Linux.

For future reference, I would recommend using the neato, toledo rpm thing that comes with RedHat to install things like this.  When I was running 5.1 it always seemed to work like magic (actually, that is what I didn't like about it)

HTH

Scott

Bill Baldwin wrote:

 I originally had Netscape 4.04 installed with the RH 5.1 software (2.0.35).  I downloaded Netscape Communicator 4.06 for the 128 bit encryption.  The only installation info I can find so far states to run ns-install & follow the prompts (after running gzip).  This evidently installs the program (/usr), however the older version of Netscape is the only one that works.  I found a small (~1-2 Mb) Netscape directory under /root but haven't been able to find the whole package.  Deleting that Netscape directory accomplishes nothing because it is reinstalled when 'netscape' is run.  Obviously I'm missing something big (being a blind newbie).  Would someone please show me that telephone pole in the haystack? Thanks much,Bill Baldwin[EMAIL PROTECTED]