Stephen Newey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble getting on-line with my ISP. I'm using an internal modem
> (a regular one, not a Winmodem fortunatly), and it's COM(3) port comes up
> when the kernel boots as being on IRQ3 along with COM1. Now, the board isn't
> P'n'P and I've jumpered it to use IRQ5, and Win98 handles it OK. But this
> may not be an issue anyway, I can communicate with the modem and dial up,
> though response on Minicom is really slow even though the rate is set to
> 115,200.
>
> I'm using SuSE Linux 5.2 with kernel 2.0.34, which was recently given away
> with Linux, and I really like it. I've dabbled before, but with downloads,
> and I never got around to getting everything. Anyway, back to the
> problem....
>
> I'm using the YaST tool with SuSE, which is fairly handy, and I've set the
> dialup from within it.

I don't know YaST. It's better manually.

> I've set 'tail -f /var/log/messages' to keep an eye
> on any messages, and I begin dialing. It connects successfully and PPP goes
> ahead fine, I get the local and remote IPs confirmed in the tail terminal.
> However, nothing works beyond that, no name resolution (which I've entered
> into YaST and also attempted to enter it into resolv.conf),

Did you check whether /etc/resolv.conf is correct? And readable by everyone?The
first time I installed my Linux, I had resolv.conf not readable by regular
users, when I changed it, everything worked.
resolv.conf will be something like:

domain something.com
nameserver ip.of.dns
nameserver ip.of.second.dns

And  in my system,

-rw-r--r--   1 root     root           73 Aug 31 19:59 resolv.conf

> I can't even
> ping the IP of the machine I've connected to, it just freezes "sending 56
> bytes of data" or whatever. any other IP which I know to be valid shows as
> "network unreachable". Any insight?

  Hope this helps,

BS