According to Karl F. Larsen: While burning my CPU.

> Hi Vin, Karl k5di here. You must have linux running and get the xxx.tar.gz
> file to your linux and put it in the /usr/src/ directory. Then cd linux
> and see if the file README is there. If not, then you need to unpack your
> big file and do that with tar xvfz Linux_2.0.35.tar.gz and it will replace
> the old source code with the new. Now read the file README which is well

That will replace old files with a new ones of the same name, however do not
forget that kernel files come and go, names change, old "obsolite" files
will still remain after untaring the new kernel source without deleting ALL
old files first.

Karl, why dont you follow the linux documentaion when telling others what to
do.

Make a new directory;

cd /usr/src
{ Now depending on weather you have a symbolic link in /usr/src pointing to
linux, which is The Linux Way, do the following. }

With a symlink do;
rm linux
mkdir linux-2.0.35
ln -s linux-2.0.35 linux
tar xzf linux-2.0.35.tar.gz
cd linux
Read the README now like Karl says.

If linux is a normal directory do;
mv linux linux-old
mkdir linux-2.0.35
ln -s linux-2.0.35 linux
tar xzf linux-2.0.35.tar.gz :( the v(erbose) is optional, tar works faster
without it)

--
Regards Richard.