According to Adrian Bolzan: While burning my CPU.

> Hello!
>
> I am not sure if this is the right mailing list ao if not would someone let
> me know?  thanks...

Yes.

> anyway, on with the question:
>
> I recently downloaded the patches 2.0.33 .34 and .35 to upgrade from
> 2.0.32.  When i installed patch .33 it went on ok.  I then tried patch .34
> and it went ok for a while then started reporting hunk failures every so
> often (sorry i don't have the exact sections) and then when it tried to

As to what went wrong, it could be any number of reasons. Just one simple
reject file produced by a hunk failure will result is problems later on.
I sent a mail out earlier on today explaning howto patch a kernel, i will
repeat it in more detail.

If you follow these instrutions i garentee you a succes rate of 99.9%.
Firstly you will need to unpack a new kernel 2.0.32 you do still have the
sources dont you.?

If not forget patching and get a linux-2.0.35.tar.gz from
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.0 or a mirror site closer to you.

Now if you still have linux-2.0.32.tar.gz on your system somewhere then do
the following.

I will use paths to /home/ftp/pub/linux/kernel/ of course your path will/may
vary you will need to type in the correct path.

cd /usr/src
considering your kernel source in the linux dir, is absolutly corrupted now
after the patches failed i would advise you to remove it all.
cd linux
rm -rf *         MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN THE LINUX DIR.
rm -rf .*     Remove all files with a leading .
cd ..
rmdir linux (if it is a directory)
rm linux (if it is a symbolic link)
mkdir linux-2.0.32
ln -s linux-2.0.32 linux      Link linux-2.0.32 to linux
tar xzf /home/ftp/pub/linux/kernel/linux-2.0.32.tar.gz
(This will untar the file in the linux directory for you)
gzip -cd /home/ftp/pub/linux/patch/v2.0/patch-2.0.33.gz | patch -p0 -s
gzip -cd /home/ftp/pub/linux/patch/v2.0/patch-2.0.34.gz | patch -p0 -s
gzip -cd /home/ftp/pub/linux/patch/v2.0/patch-2.0.35.gz | patch -p0 -s
(Thats the patching done)

Now there will be no output from patch, only error messages and there should
be "absolutly none". (period)

cd /usr/include
                rm -rf asm linux scsi
                ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386 asm
                ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux linux
                ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/scsi scsi
cd /usr/src/linux

Now read the README if nessascary for further configuration details,
installing the image and using lilo.

> install stuff like asm-alpha it asked me where i should put it (i said it
> should not be installed as i have an asm-i386 installed).  is that right if
> i have a PC running linux?  after a while the patch finished.

Your old source is riddeld with *.rej files now. Reject files are hunks of
patches or complete files which could not be patched.
You should NEVER say no to something like that.
I would imagen you did not use the -p option or used it wrongly.

> then i ran make xconfig and installed native language support so that i
> could use vfat etc.  the i make dep; make clean which wen tok.  but when i
> compiled the kernel it died, giving me an error that started like this:

I have deleted the rest of the text, all the error messages are caused by a
failed patch process.

> then gave:
>
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/src/linux-2.0.32/fs'