According to Mike: While burning my CPU.

> > Who would want to do that? and why, reading /etc/passwd is open to all on a
> > default system as its installed -rw-r--r-- .
> > So why would you want to know who is reading a file they are allowed to
> > read.?
>
> Because there are rarely good reasons for reading it except when you log
> in or change your password.

Look at it this way, if it was such a security hole, which is what you are
realy saying, then i assure you another solution would have been introduced
many years ago.

> > Anyway how would you log the event 'ttysnoop' would be a possability but
> > sure would suck up a lot of resources on a busy machine.
> >
> Logging the actual read is not possible with a standard linux distribution
> AFAIK.

That sould be quite easy to do with ttysnoop, or a simple script.
But anyway, i am certanly not so worried as you seem to be.

As far as i am concerned the matter is closed.

--
Regards Richard.