Hi!

I've been doing the same thing you're doing, going from DOS/WIN95 to
Linux. I had the same reserations about using LILO (the docs actually
have a warning about it!). However, it's not that bad after all.

First of all you machines BIOS needs to support your HDD without any
drivers installed in the boot sector. Some 486 and older boards will
not accept anything above 504MB without special drivers which install
in the MBR. If you have Pentium there'll be no problem.

Once you partitioned your drive and created Linux partitions you
might as well install LILO. It's the most convenient as far as I am
concerned. I named my WIN95 boot name 'win'. For some reason it
defaults to win at bootup which is just fine for me since I am the
only on using Linux on my box.

The DOS fdisk command will restore the MBR. Just type:

        fdisk /MBR

and fdisk will restore your MBR for use with DOS or Windows.

After I found that out I didn't mind experimenting with LILO at all.
I am using Red Hat 4.0 and LILO works fine. I also have an older
Slackware set and LILO (and some other things) aren't working. So for
now I am sticking with Red Hat. Sometime soon I'll be changing things
to a newer Red Hat version. I ended up with somewhat useless
partioning sizes. I guess that's what learning is all about :-)

Regards,
Adi