At 22:05 17/09/98 -0500, James Maddison wrote:

>The reason that Intel chips are more overclockable than their AMD
>counterparts is really quite simple: better quality.
>
>Intel has more money to spend on R & D, and has better manufacturing
>facilities than AMD.  This doesn't mean that AMD produces a bad chip,
>just that Intel has the capacity to produce a higher quality chip.

        I'm not too sure you this is a good argument, i.e. more money (i.e.
profit) leads to more money on R&D.   If we use Microsoft as an
example...they have more money than other software companies yet their
products are not necessarily as good as other's.  An example is, of course,
in the OS area.  Also, as a researcher in the science field i can assure
you that these days more money just means more profit for shareholders and
does not lead to more money being spent on R&D.

just my 2cents worth... ;-)

adrian b.

Adrian Bolzan
c/- Dept of Chemistry