Woody wrote:

> We have just upgraded our mail server from sendmail-8.8.x to 8.9.1a. We
> are now getting "Relay Denied" messages when our users try to send
> messages to ppl outside of our domain. Everyone can send email locally
> with no problems, yet when you try to send something to say,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED], it gives a relay denied messages.

Sendmail 8.9.* won't act as a relay by default.

It will only accept messages if either:

a) the recipient's domain is `local' (in class w)

b) the recipient's domain is in class R (or possibly a subdomain of a
domain which is in class R)

c) the message was sent from the local host

d) the IP address from which the SMTP connection was made is in class
R (or possibly an address from a network which is in class R)

e) the IP address from which the SMTP connection was made resolves to
a hostname which is in class R (or possibly a subdomain of a domain
which is in class R)

Class w is defined by `Cw' directives, or the /etc/sendmail.cw file.
Class R is defined by the /etc/mail/relay-domains file.

The `possibly' in the above rules relates to whether
FEATURE(relay_entire_domain) was used when building the sendmail.cf
file.

--
Glynn Clements <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>