Jonathan Herringer (PHY) wrote:

> I have a PnP Sound blaster card  that can't get detected by linux.  I have
> soft booted from widows, dos and it still doesnt' get detected.
>
> I got the latest version of the kernel (2.1.122) with plug and play
> support (but couldn't find any thing on how to configure the PnP)
>
> Can any one suggest reading material etc...  I have read the Sound HOW-To
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan Herringer

  Hi Jonathan,
I had the same problem with my Soundblaster 16 PnP card and kernel version
2.0.35. When different runs of recompiling the kernel (BTW, good way to learn
that, but it took a weekend...) didn't get me sound, there were still three
possibilities left:
1. There was a program called isa-pnp-tools that I got from somewhere I don't
remember and that I couldn't get to run properly.
2. ftp://ftp.informatik.hu-berlin.de/pub/ps/linux/hu-sound gets you the
PC-sounddriver talked about in the sound-How-To.
3. http://www.4front-tech.com/linux.html , infos and download of the
commercial OSS sound driver, that one worked easily and IMHO was worth the
20$ it cost (yeah I know, not exactly in the spirit of Linux, but hey, I'm a
user ! ;-))
I wish you more luck with the first two possibilities than I had.
See you,
Christoph