Have you tried hitting ctrl+alt+"+" (from the numeric keypad here)?
That should give you cycle you through to some higher resolutions if
you've got some semblance of a decent XF86Config file.

Personally I prefer using xf86config to configure the XF86Config file.
It gives you much more control over the entire operation, shy of editing
the file itself.  Try that.  I had similar problems with Xconfigurator.
It was just too simplistic.  You should take a look at your XF86Config
file prior to starting X.  I had some nasty problems with my monitor.
Thank goodness for built in safeguards!  I couldn't do anything.  Had to
just hit reset and reboot.  Nasty, nasty.

James.