According to Peter B: While burning my CPU.

> Greetings
>
> I've got patches 2.0.32 --> 2.0.35 for my 2.0.31 box...they are .gz
> files...now, I have all four of them sitting pretty in my / directory.
> I've followed your advice and created a directory specifically for d/led
> stuff, which I've named /downloads...My understanding of the procedure
> to patch the kernel is to run each patch in sequence until it is
> 2.0.35...how do I do this correctly? put the unzipped patches in the
> /usr/src and run the patch command?

Basicly yes, no need to unzip them tho' see below.

> Any help appreciated!
> 'Later
> Peter

Firstly patching will only work properly against a clean source tree, in
other words its structure and contents have not been alterd in any way,
execpt the normal 'make processes'.

You can place the patches where you like, i choose to keep all my archives
in /home/ftp/pub, now considering this we can now use /home/ftp/pub as an
example.

cd /usr/src
gzip -cd /home/ftp/pub/patch-2.0.32.gz | patch -p0 -s
gzip -cd /home/ftp/pub/patch-2.0.33.gz | patch -p0 -s
gzip -cd /home/ftp/pub/patch-2.0.34.gz | patch -p0 -s
gzip -cd /home/ftp/pub/patch-2.0.35.gz | patch -p0 -s

Now no output should bee seen, the -s option in patch is 'silent' it will
only output errors, of which there should be NONE.
As you see there is no need to untar the files first.

If you are still unsure about "did i get any errors" do;

find linux/ -name *.rej
There should be no file names returned.

cd linux
make config etc etc etc..