On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Gary Smith wrote:

> What is the process to run a XTerminal client on a windows 95 / 98 machine?
> What software do I need to set up to do this?
>
> All windows 95 /98 clients have s3 Virge identical to the server if this
> helps.

There are a variety of commercial X servers on the market.  To do what
you're asking, you can install one of them, or you can check out VNC from
Oracle:

                      http://www.orl.co.uk/vnc/

While VNC won't let you run an xterm per se, it *will* allow you to open
up an entire "desktop" session on the remote X machine and run as many
xterms as you'd like.  Furthermore, the data transmission compression
algorithms in VNC are pretty snazzy, so you get pretty good performance.

Another nifty thing about VNC is that it works moth ways:  You can run a
UNIX desktop on your windows computer, but you can also control an NT
machine from a Linux box, similarly to PC-Anywhere.

And it's free ;-)

--Mark