I have found that you must first have an established connection with a
shared volume on the Samba server before you will be able to see other
shared volumes and printers.  This is what I've done to get my Linux
RedHat-5.1 machine serve files & printers to my NT4+SP3 Workstation
machine:

1. Configure the Linux Samba sbm.conf file as the example shows, but
allowing the tmp directory to be read only.  This is important to have a
named shared directory available and that you know (can remember) it's
name.

2. Make sure you restart Samba after making any changes to the smb.conf
file (/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart)

3. Adjust the NT machine's registry by creating the
EnablePlainTextPassword:REG_DWORD=1 value in the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters
section.  Be sure that you added a VALUE and not added a KEY.

4. Restart NT after making the registry change; the change won't go into
effect until NT is restarted (rebooted).

5. Using the File Manager (I hate Explorer) go and create a network
connection via the Map Network Drive dialog box. This next part is
important: *manually* specify the path to the Linux Samba machine,
including the volume that is shared.  For example, my Linux machine is
called Saturn and I have a directory called tmp that is shared by Samba.
In the Map Network Drive dialog box, I specify "\\Saturn\tmp" for the Path
field and a valid Linux username for the Connect As field.  You don't have
to be logged on with the same username on NT as the Linux user that is
allowed to share the drive.  NT will then prompt you for the password for
the username you specified.

6. Once you made the *manual* connection, you can then browse the Linux
machine for other volumes and printers.

In summary, you must first manually establish a network mapping to a
volume shared by Samba.  Once done, Samba will then show you everything
else that is shared.

-Rod