Unless you specifically told it not to install it, a standard Red Hat
install already has an IRC client.  If you have figured out how to get X
going look under the menus for irc and it will launch it for you...real,
windoze like :-)  Or in a terminal window type:
(remember, cAse SensiTIVe)
irc

and it will launch it for you and will automatically connect to MIT.  Or
for that matter, type:

irc

in a terminal window in X

> I issue the following command
>
> rpm -ivh ircii4-4.4.src.rpm

Um...It looks to me like you rpm'ed on the source (a bunch of C code)
for the irc client instead of the binaries (already compiled programs).
Did you get it from the SRPM directory or the RPM directory?  Unless you
are going to hack the code for stuff, I suggest you rpm on the stuff
from the RPM directory.  Also, that doesn't look like a full rpm file
name..did it have an i386 in the middle somewhere?   If not, it was for
a processor that you probably don't have (alpha).

> it gives a bunch of ###### like it is doing something.

I suggest you type 'man rpm' (again, without the ' ) and check out what
the switches i,v and h do for the rpm command. You probably should know
what you are typing before you type it..especially as root, my friend.

> Now the question I have, where the heck does it get installed?

and that is the problem with rpm'ing things.  Where does all that crap
go?  Again, I refer you back to the man page for rpm for how to query
the package or you can use the cute little gui tool in control-panel to
do the same thing.

> -Mike

HTH

Scott