I am running Samba1.9.18p7 under RedHat 5.1. The linux box (host name PPro)
is the host running Samba, and it connects to OS/2 (named PII) as its client.

I have    smbd (pid 513 is running . . .
          nmbd (pid 522 is running . . .

The command # testparm returns
                Load smb config files from /etc/smb.conf
                Processing section "[homes]"
                Processing section "[netlogon]"
                Processing section "[printers]"
                Loaded services file OK.

I run # smbclient -L PPro
        Added interface ip=192.168.1.1 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
        Server time is Sat Oct 10 07:30:43 1998
        Timezone is UTC-4.0
        Password: [enter password for root or for current user]
        . . .
        security=user
        Server=[PPro] User=[brownh] Workgroup=[BROWNH] Domainb=[BROWNH]
                Sharename       Type            Comment
                brownh          Disk            Home directories
                IPC$            IPC             IPC Service (Samba Server)
                lp                              Printer
                netlogon        Disk            Network Logon Service
        This machine has a browse list:
                Server  Commend
                PPRo    Samba Server
        This machine has a workgroup list:
                Workgroup       Master
                BROWNH          PPRO

However, # smbclient -L PII times out and says: Your server software is
being unfriendly. I see that when this happens I should "Look at point
33 in the 'autoreply' doc on the server." No idea where that is. There
is no documentation in my /usr/doc/samba-1.9.18p7

I turn to /var/log/ and look at the samba logs.
        /var/log/samba-log
                Impossible netmask 0.0.0.0 - using defaults
        /var/log/samba/log.nmb
                PPro is now a domain master browser for workgroup Brownh
                   on subnet 192.168.1.1
        /var/log/samba/log.smb
                No interface found for address 0.0.0.0
                . . .
                No interface found for address 192.168.1.1
        /var/log/samba/log.nmb.3
                send_netbios-packet: send_packet() to IP 0.255.255.255 port
                   137 failed
                query_name: Failed to send packet trying to query name
                   MYGROUP<1d>
                Packet send failed to 0.255.255.255(138) ERRN0=Network is
                   unreachable
                Packet send failed to 0.255.255.255(137) ERRN0=Network is
                   unreachable

My questions:

1. While Samba seems to be running on PPro, and I get the message that it
sees its ethernet interface 192.168.1.1, but the log suggest that it sought
address 0.0.0.0 Why would it do so?

2. The log says Samba failed to find 192.168.1.1. even though that interface
was added. How do I reconcile these apparently contradictory reports?

3. When I run # smbclient -L PII, it times out and says: Your server software
is being unfriendly. But I see no reason to run this command. If the server
is running and a connection is up, I should think my PII client would see it.

4. There is no documentation in my /usr/doc/samba-1.9.18p7 directory. Should
there be?

Haines Brown