What are you using to configure the smb.conf file.  I have found using the
SWAT web configuration tool works great.  Also, you may want to make sure
that your smb.conf is in the correct location.  When you compile Samba from
the distribution sources, it looks for it in the /usr/local/samba/lib
directory if you dont change the installation directory...  I configured the
Samba sources with ./configure --prefix=/usr.  And my smb.conf file is found
in the /usr/samba/lib  directory.   Hope this helps....

Timothy P. Hughes
Associate Technical Analyst
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons