According to Marc Corel: While burning my CPU.

> Hello...
>
> Originally,  I have  redhat 5.0/kernel 2.0.32 on my linux box.
> I went downloading kernel 2.0.34 and 2.0.35, did installed them in their
> respective directories. That gives me following directories in /usr/src:
>
> -/usr/src/linux
> -/usr/src/linux-2.0.32
> -/usr/src/linux-2.0.34
> -/usr/src/linux-2.0.32
> ..What I did is to run make config/make dep/make clean/make_modules,
> make modules_install in each directory and copied their  zImage in
> /boot:
> - cp /usr/src/li/usr/src/linux-2.0.32/arch/i386/boot/zImage
> /boot/vmlinuz-2.0.32
> -cp /usr/src/li/usr/src/linux-2.0.34/arch/i386/boot/zImage
> /boot/vmlinuz-2.0.34
> -cp /usr/src/li/usr/src/linux-2.0.35/arch/i386/boot/zImage
> /boot/vmlinuz-2.0.35

Well if you had a resulting zImage in /usr/src/linux-x.x.x/arch/i386/boot
then you must have had a symlink called "linux" in your /usr/src directory
pointing to the linux-x.x.x of your choise, right????.

> Of course I also did:

Of course you "should NOT have".

> In /boot: ln -sf  vmlinuz-2.0.32   vmlinuz
>              ln -sf  vmlinuz-2.0.34   vmlinuz
>              ln -sf  vmlinuz-2.0.35   vmlinuz

You seem to be pointing them all to vmlinuz, which i think will result in
the last line (vmlinuz-2.0.35) actualy being linked.

> Finally, in /etc/lilo.conf , there are several stanzas of my several
> kernels.

Every stanza would need to be different, see below, i get the impression you
are pointing every stanza to "vmlinuz", however i could be wrong.
Here's a portion of my /etc/lilo.conf

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.35-pre6-mem-patch
        label=pre6-mem
        root=/dev/hda2
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.34
        label=2.0.34
        root=/dev/hda2
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-pre6
        label=2.0.36-pre6
        root=/dev/hda2
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-pre7
        label=2.0.36-pre7
        root=/dev/hda2
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-pre7.1
        label=7.1
        root=/dev/hda2
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-pre10
        label=pre10
        root=/dev/hda2
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-pre12
        label=pre12
        root=/dev/hda2
        read-only

Now with the above i do not need ANY symlink in /boot, As i do
'cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /boot/vmlinuz-x.x.xx-prexx'
Every kernel imaage as a different name, the image then has a nickname which
is called the "label" After reruning lilo all i do is hit alt tab, then type
in one of the above labels, wallah!, new kernel image is booted.

> I) What I could understand is that whatever kernel I m bootin, there is
> a "trusted" kernel (if I can all it that way) and it s the original one
> that was installed on my system (kernel 2.0.32)
> right???

The origanal image should still be intact as long as you have not deleted
anything other than "vmlinuz" (the symlink).

> II) Whatever kernel I m bootin, the config files stay the same...but
> this cause a problem:
> for ie..on kernel 2.0.32 IP_forwarding was not built in. On kernel
> 2.0.34 I specifically recompile IP_forwarding in, but there s no
> appearent difference between both.

Because the kernel is always the same one, i fear.

> III) Is the way I ve configured my system right (with those 3 kernels)??
> To make sure I m bootin the kernel of my choice, I copied the zImage of
> ech kernel on a floppy. So I just boot with the right floppy

No i dont think so.
Floppy's would be a way out of this situation, for the time being.
If i remember correctly i have explaned this all before to you, or was it
someone else!!, anyway, take a look at;

http://www.findmail.com/listsaver/linux-newbie/info.html

You should find several mails from me explaning HOWTO compile kernels, link
directorys and copy zImages AND rerun lilo.

If all else fails send /etc/lilo.conf, an 'ls -al' from /boot/ and /usr/src/
here to the list. Please note 'ls -al' not just 'ls'...

--
Regards Richard.